MY REASONS FOR NOT VACCINATING
- Answer to prayer. Of all the controversial or unconventional parenting decisions I’ve made (not circumcising, extended breastfeeding, home birth, gentle/respectful parenting, homeschooling) this has by far been the most difficult, because there is so much fear on both sides. Lots of hours of research have gone into this decision, but more importantly, so has lots of pondering and prayer. The only decision that brought me peace was to delay any further vaccination for the time being. In the time since then I have been able to research and learn much more without all the fear and pressure, and I feel much more confident in my decision. I have also continued to pray about it, and the decision not to vaccinate still brings me peace.
- God’s design and how natural immunity works. The more I have learned about how the body and immunity works naturally when we don’t interfere or try to improve upon it, the more I have come to trust the Lord and His perfect design.
First of all, when we use the whole foods and herbs and things that God has provided in the earth for our health (see Alma 46:40 and D&C 42:43), then our bodies have what they need to heal from diseases and we are left with natural, lifelong immunity. For example, Vitamin A deficiency is a risk factor for severe measles. Thus, Vitamin A-rich foods or supplements can prevent and/or reduce severity of measles. These childhood diseases are not deadly (source) especially when we get them in childhood and we rely on these things God has provided to treat them (including clean water, proper nutrition and sanitation, which research shows have done more to reduce mortality rates than anything else). And once we’ve contracted the disease and then treated it naturally if necessary, then we have true immunity that lasts a lifetime.
So let’s say, for example, that a young girl gets rubella as a child and it’s mild and not a huge deal, and she now has lifelong immunity which will protect her unborn babies should she be exposed to it during pregnancy when she is older. Compare that to a girl who is vaccinated against rubella as a child but then doesn’t continue receiving boosters every few years into adulthood (which most don’t) and her limited immunity has worn off by the time she is of child-bearing age, and then she is exposed to rubella in her first or second trimester of pregnancy and runs the risk of either losing her baby as a result or the baby being born with birth defects. It seems to me that we could better spend our time and resources learning about the natural things in the earth that strengthen our immune systems and how to use them safely and wisely in case we need them for “remov[ing] the cause of diseases” (Alma 46:40), and trusting God and the natural process of things.
- Understanding herd immunity. Herd immunity is not actually what we understand it to be today. The term originated in 1933 when a health officer named Arthur W. Hedrich “observed that during 1900-1930, outbreaks of measles in Boston, MA appeared to be suppressed when 68% of the children contracted the virus” (source). This was natural herd immunity.
According to Michael Gaeta, DAc, MS, CDN, “Vaccine-induced herd or community immunity is scientifically impossible. It is a brilliant piece of marketing, using guilt to coerce behavior and drive drug sales. It is twisted genius in action, making intelligent, independent-thinking people ignore their honest, well-founded vaccine skepticism, and causing the rest to accept unlimited vaccinations without question.
“There are two primary reasons why vaccinating oneself cannot protect others, and why failing to vaccinate cannot endanger others. The first is from the science of immunology, and we can describe it as waning antibody stimulation, post-vaccination. In short, vaccines only do one thing—stimulate antibody production to something similar but not the same as the infection. That antibody stimulation is temporary, lasting a few months or years. So the majority of the US population has had no so-called vaccine protection for several decades, without any resurgent epidemics of measles, mumps, pertussis, etc.
“The second is from the science of population outcomes, or epidemiology. In all populations globally who have ever attained the ever-rising and completely arbitrary (read: made up) minimum threshold for vaccine uptake (% of a population who get vaccinated), outbreaks of vaccinated diseases still occur. This should, of course, be impossible, if herd immunity were actually true.”
Dr. Russell Blaylock said, “That vaccine-induced herd immunity is mostly myth can be proven quite simply. When I was in medical school, we were taught that all of the childhood vaccines lasted a lifetime. This thinking existed for over 70 years. It was not until relatively recently that it was discovered that most of these vaccines lost their effectiveness 2 to 10 years after being given. What this means is that at least half the population, that is the baby boomers, have had no vaccine-induced immunity against any of these diseases for which they had been vaccinated very early in life. In essence, at least 50% or more of the population was unprotected for decades” (source).
True herd immunity actually necessitates that school-aged children contract these diseases (at an age when complications are least likely), and when enough of them do (at least 68% apparently), protection is offered to the rest of the population, especially the most vulnerable (babies, pregnant women, the elderly). Not only this, but as mentioned in point number 2 above, pregnant women and the elderly are protected from having contracted the illnesses themselves as children. Infants, whose bodies actually cannot produce their own antibodies, are then protected through the antibodies from their mothers at birth and antibodies in their mother’s breast milk (which are present due to the mother’s natural lifelong immunity) until they can produce their own (source).
- What is responsible for the decline in childhood illnesses. We hear all the time that vaccines are responsible for the decline in childhood diseases in developed countries. However, according to statistical charts these diseases were already in decline prior to the introduction of vaccines.
“The graphs of the decline of disease show quite a different story about the role of vaccines. Sanitation, clean water, better nutrition and better living conditions did more to improve health than vaccination. There were no vaccines for typhoid or scarlet fever and yet those death rates declined as well. Here are two centuries of official statistics. Please note that morbidity (incidence of illness) and mortality (incidence of death) are not the same thing: https://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/graphs/
more graphs http://www.dissolvingillusions.com/graphs/
It is my understanding that illnesses naturally go through cycles where they wax and wane in prevalence. Additionally, as mentioned above, proper sanitation, nutrition and clean water made the biggest difference in mortality rates (not necessarily the occurrence of disease). We also have evidence that some illnesses that we see today have the same symptoms as “vaccine-preventable diseases” that were “eradicated” and have likely simply been reclassified and renamed (e.g. the symptoms of polio match those of Aseptic Meningitis, Guillian-barre, and Transverse Myelitis) (source).
Ironically, some outbreaks of “vaccine-preventable illnesses” have even been shown to be re-imported by previously-vaccinated individuals (source) and we know that certain vaccines contain live viruses that shed and spread said viruses (source).
This is not even to mention that while “vaccine-preventable” diseases declined, they have been replaced by chronic conditions like allergies, asthma, eczema, autism, anxiety, depression, ADHD, sensory processing issues, etc. At least some of these have been linked to vaccine injuries (source).
- Injected vaccines bypass the body’s built-in immune defenses (and digestive system), meaning that they can’t actually strengthen the immune system. What they do is temporarily stimulate antibody production, but in the meantime they also introduce foreign proteins directly into the blood stream and cause issues, actually weakening the immune system. These foreign proteins and toxins in the blood cause all sorts of problems from allergies to other autoimmune diseases (source, under “Vaccines and Vaccine Side-effects”). I choose not to vaccinate my kids because I want them to be healthy, not because I am neglecting their health.
- Vaccine ingredients. We hear claims all the time that vaccines are safe, but I have yet to see an actual double-blind, peer reviewed, long-term, unbiased study proving their safety, especially with so many combined doses. On the other hand, there is plenty of evidence that the ingredients in vaccines are not safe, and in fact, many are extremely dangerous and even cancer-causing. I have heard the argument that the levels of these toxins in vaccines are too low to be dangerous, but is it safe or okay to knowingly inject children with any amount of poison? Apparently the supreme court even stated that vaccines were “unavoidably unsafe,” and the $3 billion + in payouts from the Vaccine Compensation Program certainly supports that claim. (source)
“This document lists every ingredient from every vaccine, as well as the side effects. You can judge for yourself if they are scary when multiple doses are injected into your child at one well-child visit: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BQOqgpgA_UlkYNmyVeQcgs79RO-m5-85h2TNMcnhqHo/mobilebasic?pli=1
Here is the CDC Link to the ingredients so you can confirm the above: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-2.pdf ”
One of the scariest things to me is that some doctors will still administer vaccines to children who are sick, premature, or who have known allergies to ingredients that are contained in some vaccines, even though vaccines are especially contraindicated for these individuals.
- Aborted fetal cells. One ingredient in particular is concerning to me for more than just health and safety reasons. It is a known fact that several vaccines contain fetal tissue (known as WI-38, MRC-5, etc. on vaccine ingredient lists). It was not just two aborted babies from a long time ago that were used for this purpose either. According to this article scientists say that the continued use of aborted fetal tissue is critical for medical research and vaccines.
Not only does it concern me that they are injecting foreign human DNA into children’s blood streams, which can’t possibly be safe, but I don’t feel morally right about supporting abortion in any way. It can be argued that these babies would have been aborted anyway and so we might as well use them for “good.” But to me that’s like driving a car that someone else stole for me, because I’m not the one who stole it and it’s already been stolen anyway, and I need a car, so I might as well drive it (except killing babies is, of course, far worse).
- Not a commandment. There has only been one statement ever issued by the Brethren urging parents to vaccinate, back in 1978. In the US particularly, the vaccine schedule (and even ingredients) are completely different now than they were then (“the federal child vaccine schedule tripled from 23 doses of seven vaccines in 1980 to 70 doses of 16 vaccines during the next 30 years.” [source]), rendering vaccination a very different matter today than it was then. We have been given no further counsel regarding vaccination since. The church is involved with vaccine campaigns in third world countries, but that’s all we’ve heard from them concerning vaccines in almost 40 years. According to different individuals I know who have called church headquarters to ask for the church’s stance on vaccines, they were each told that the church doesn’t have an official stance and that it is a matter of personal revelation and choice. Which brings me back to my number one reason.